Thursday, March 06, 2008

CTN Cardigan is done - FO!


ctn_fo_1
Originally uploaded by Digital Leaf
Finally. I had to put this one down for a minute. I was low on yarn and my original plan was not going to work. So after lots of thought and looking at it in the mirror, I discovered the solution and I love it!

Fearing running out of yarn, I knit the button bands first to the length of the sweater, knowing that if I ran out of yarn, then I could forgo the bottom hem. Then I reevaluated my yardage and thought, for second, I could get away with adding the longer bottom hem, but no dice.

I did however, get to add a folded hem, to balance the folded hem on the collar. I then picked up the stitches to extend the button band to the finished length of the cardigan.

I used wooded toggle buttons and the button holes are just single YO's.

In hindsight, I should have made the body shorter, saving yarn and balancing the proportions better, which would have allowed me to do the bottom in the sleeve stitch and then add the hem. ( That would have been closer to the original inspiration design) Also, I wouldn't have shaped the shoulders at all. I definitely want to give this sweater another try in another yarn and of course with enough yarn.

p.s. I do have a some yarn left, enough for a simple crochet hat... I think ;-)

(click the image for pics)

1 comment:

Jersey Knitting Mama said...

I Love IT! You did an amazing job with this sweater. You must wear this next time we see each other.