Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Roving, Roving, Roving..

I had a nice time at the Sheep and Wool Festival. It was a gorgeous day, sunny and breezy. Perfect weather for a stroll through the fairgrounds. I was afraid it would be muddy after the rain the day before, but the ground was pretty dry. We watched a little of the cashmere goat judging and visited the sheep and alpaca stalls.

I tried the Saori weaving loom. It folds up for easier storage, Yay! I could totally get into weaving, but first,
spinning... I looked at a lot of spinning wheels. My dad and I even tried using the Journey Wheel, to limited success. The cotton roving used for the demo was so soft and had shorter fibers than the wool I've used in the past, that it just kept breaking. The woman next t me got the hang of it. Its such a beautiful process when done right.

I do see a spinning wheel in my future, but I don't really have the space for one at the moment, hence the interest in the Journey wheel. (Or I'll get a big one and leave it at my parents house, to further entice my dad, hehehe.) For now I will stick with my drop spindle. I still need a lot more practice. I can make yarn that doesn't break, but I need to work on getting it a little more even.

I saw and felt lots of wonderful yarns, but I didn't buy any. Surprise surprise! I just couldn't see what I'd make with a lot of them. Others I wasn't sure how much i wanted/needed. I did, however walk out with a lot of roving! Oh yes, i will be be spinning, spinning, spinning.

The multicolor rovings are by Spirit Trail Fiberworks and its a superwash merino wool.
roving_4

The solid braids are from Abi's Web.
roving_2

The 4 beautiful autumn colored merino wools are by Liberty Ridge Farm.
roving_3

And the green ball of roving is by "Handspun by Stefania".
Roving_1

No comments: