Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sheep and Wool Festival, Rhinebeck

I went to the Sheep and Wool festival on the Sunday with my Dad. We both just had to the PunkinChunkin contest, of which we missed most of because they started an hour earlier then sceduled. But we did get to see the last round of chucks ! My Dad who has no idea about knitting, but understands fabrics was eager to see why i was so excited about this fest. By the end of the day, he was almost ready to buy a spinning wheel. ^_^. The layout of the festival was great. We watched the sheep shearing demo and looked at the prize winning alpaca. We felt yarns, rovings, and completed garments. We ooed and ahhed at the ladies spinning and the many fiber gadgets we saw.

Please understand, I have soft spot of gadgets. And fiber gadgets are among the more facinating because they are so simple. Niddy Noddys, Lacets, Knitting needles, crochet hooks, spinning wheels, and bobbins. Some of which were hand crafted out of fine woods.
I had two main goals for the festival, 1. see what all the hub bub was about, and 2. try spinning. It wasn't till we were at the last building they I found my drop spindle. JOY!! I got the Tsunami by Golding. It was perfect. Though i was tempted by several other great gadgets like the Journey Wheel (maybe next year).

I look forward to next year.

No comments: