Its been a journey.
It started with the squeel of excitement at seeing the cover of Vogue Knitting, followed by the buzz from fellow knitters. I looked thru my stash and found a perfect yarn, a greenish tan cotton, close in feel to the picture on the cover, warmer than winter white, but still keeping that light cozy feel.
I swatched. I fell in love. I added the next medallion, and then the third and then..... no more yarn!!?!..... noooooo, there has to more yarn around, i ususally buy way more then i need. But this yarn was from Silk City, in the discount bin. A cloud of dred formed over my head, i had to wait almost a month till the next sale and hope that they had more of it.
I drove out to Silk City, in agony that I would'nt find it. It was crowed! It was the end of the school year and FIT students were buying materials for they final projects. I looked around and found all kinds of great yarn and spent way too much money, but my mission was not yet complete. I still didn't have the yarn i needed.
I asked the attendant and they had it in stock, full price but..... hey I had no choice, i had to have it. I lugged it and the large garbage bag full of other cones of yarn home, pulled out my needles and cast on.... Not the same dye lot! So i put the three completed medalions the back... happy accident...suuure!
It was at this point that I started reading that many people were having issues with the pattern, it was way way way way tooo big. And it was insanely to big, so i omitted two medallions from under the arm. I started the sleeves, convincing myself, with much effort, that it would all work out just fine. I finished the sleeves and delighted in using the Kitchner bind off for the first time (love it).
It looked..... big... and dare i say frompy. I put it down. I walked away.
Weeks later i started sketching, doodling, and decided to try to and save it. I added ribbing on the bottom, hoping i would tame the points and puckers that blocking seemed unable to deal with. It worked pretty well, but i had a large wad of sagging, puckering fabric under each arm...
My patience was gone, my love was gone.
My mom came to visit, tried it on and the solution was found. Ooooh, you need a bust to get rid of the sag on the side. Thus the garment was resurrected. I added buttons and loops to make it more of a wrap. My love returned and my mom still got the Norah Gaughan sweater i promised her. It just wasn't the same sweater and it was a different color. I was planning to make her the "Ram's Horm Jacket" in "Knitting Nature".
2 weeks ago